Thursday, February 18, 2016

Power Play by Sophia Henry


Book Description

post signatureBeneath her innocent facade, Gabriella Bertucci has her reasons to be standoffish with guys. Especially guys like Landon Taylor, a star defenseman on the minor-league Detroit Pilots and the object of a serious crush since he first walked into her family's market. But when Landon comes through for her in a moment of crisis, Gaby starts to wonder if there might be more to Landon than hard muscles and fast skates.

Landon isn't afraid of telling Gaby that he's got it for her bad. The problem is, she seems unwilling to believe it. And though Landon enjoys his reputation as a cool-headed athlete, he hates losing—both on the rink and off. It's his competitiveness that makes him so damn good at what he does . . . but it also makes him just a little bit complicated.

One minute Gaby's tempted to give in; the next, she's getting cold feet. How can she trust a guy who's destined for bigger and better things to stick around? Then again, when Landon pulls her close with those powerful arms, the only thing that matters is right now.

AVAILABLE: February 16, 2016

PILOTS HOCKEY 
Delayed Penalty (Book 1)
Power Play (Book 2)
Interference (Book 3) *Available June 2016

 Power Play is the second book in Sophia Henry's Pilots Hockey series.  Each book can be considered a stand alone since each focuses on a different couple.  That being said, this was my first book by Sophia Henry and I'm not sure I'll read anymore from her.  

This is going to be somewhat of a rant-y review... (just FYI if I say some "spoilers")

I don't think I've disliked a WHOLE book of characters as much in Power Play.  I mean, usually there are one or two that I find uber annoying, but this was a WHOLE BOOK OF THEM!!! I didn't like ANYONE. ANYONE!!!!  I thought Gaby's parent's were cruel in an unusual way and blamed her for being raped three years ago.  They were condescending/patronizing towards her with her meds and acted like she was going to go on a killing spree without them.  It was obnoxious how they treated her, and as a reader, I didn't appreciate it.  

You can definitely tell these main characters are young... They were immature, selfish, whiny, and very, very (IMO) annoying.  Landon is an ADULT man-child jealous of the fact that his parents adopted two orphan twins... This twenty-something is jealous that his parents don't pay enough attention to him... REALLY?!?!?!?!?  I would understand being jealous if he was a) an only child AND b) A CHILD!!  As for Gaby, I am sympathetic about what she has gone through, but I found her to be an incredibly WEAK person.  It takes a lot of strength to make it through what she did and come out of it, but she had no faith/confidence in herself.  She NEVER stood up to her parents for treating her like an invalid. 

It was just overall a hard to read.  I'm actually surprised I bothered finishing it. 

Rating: 1.5 out of 5

**I received an ARC through Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.**

OTHER PLACES TO FIND ME:

No comments:

Post a Comment