Monday, January 11, 2016

Stranger at my Door by Mari Manning





Book Description

The only thing standing between her and disaster is a man she can't trust...
As far as Dinah Pittman is concerned, men can't be trusted. Especially cops. Her own father was a former cop and a convicted felon who stole a small fortune before dying in prison. The best part? No one knows where the money is...and someone is willing to kill off everyone who knows anything about it.
And Dinah is next.
Rafe Morales left the Dallas police force to settle down to a simpler life in the small Texas town of El Royo. Instead, he finds himself protecting an infuriating, tough-as-nails, oh-so-sexy victim—and driving himself crazy with a thoroughly unprofessional desire.
But as the body count rises, Rafe and Dinah must find a way to trust each other...before they both end up dead.

AVAILABLE: January 11, 2016

The only reason Dinah Pittman has returned to her hometown of El Royo, Texas is to bury her father and sell the old family home.  She doesn't want (or need) to be surrounded by the memories of her father's betrayal and her mother's abandonment.  Her father was a former cop convicted of armed robbery.  But before he was sentenced, he hid the missing $250,000 and told no one where to find it.  

Except someone believes that Dinah knows where the money is, and is willing to kill to get it.

I thought this book had so much potential.  The description of this book sounded sooo good to me.  But sadly, it just didn't work for me.  Two things bugged me about this book.  One, I found this book to be SO predictable it took all the fun out of this book for me.  I figured out who the "bad guy" was within a quarter of the way through.  Made the read rather boring.  But I finished in hope that some major twist was coming and blow my socks off...  The second thing that bugged me (sometimes) was the dialogue.  For example, there was some potentially life-threatening situations and it was all "Mister" this and "Miss" that... Listen, I grew up in the South and get the whole "Southern hospitality", but if I'm in danger my first thought is NOT about being polite.  It was just weird to me...   

Rating: 2 out of 5

**I received an ARC through Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.**

No comments:

Post a Comment